- All books published outside of Poland by scholars who are not normally based in Poland are acceptable. Polish scholars on sabbatical or fellowship abroad are not eligible. Books by non-Polish authors published in Poland and in Polish are not eligible.
- Submissions may be forwarded by the authors, publishers or third parties.
- The submitted book should be published within the 5 years preceding the year in which the competition is held.
- The books may be published in English, German, or French.
- The authors should be professional scholars, who hold a doctorate or have an equivalent experience and are professionally active in the field of Polish music.
- The jury is chaired by the Stefan and Wanda Wilk Director of the Polish Music Center and consists of invited scholars who specialize in Polish music, especially those from Poland.
- The Competition is held biennally in even years (2000 and so forth)
- The submissions (2 copies of the book) must be received on or before June 30th of the year of the Competition.
- The award will be given by November 30 of the year of the competition, preferably during a national meeting of a major professional society.
- The award will consist of a $2,000 cash prize and a certificate of award.
- In the case of a tie, or a larger number of deserving books in the competition the jury will divide the award into two or three prizes of equal cash value. However, preference will be given to awarding one prize.
- The jury reserves the right of not awarding the prizes if no submissions are deemed acceptable. All the decisions of the jury are final.
- All entries should be addressed to the Wilk Book Prizes in Polish Music, Polish Music Center, Thornton School of Music, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089-0851.